What distinguishes CAMWorks from other software is knowledge based machining pioneered by Geometric Technologies. It allows you to capture and reuse your best programming practices using the Technology Database, reducing programming time by as much as 80%. Of course at any time in the process full interactive manual control is available at your fingertips.
New in 2016 is Tolerance Based Machining which identifies manufacturing features annotated using SOLIDWORKS DimXpert, recognizing the close tolerances/ asymmetric tolerances, surface finishes and other drawing annotations associated before selecting the appropriate tools, speeds/ feeds to automatically create the best toolpaths.
CAMWorks 2017 provides advanced new features to help you take full advantage of your CNC machines.
Tolerance Based Machining
Automatically calculate the mean dimension and required tolerance for manufacturing and then use this information to select the correct tooling, machining strategy, and generate toolpath.
Tool Management Tree
The Tool Tree Tab simplifies the creation of tools and tool cribs, more easily manage tools and operations including selecting, editing, replacing, and deleting tools.
Simplified, single dialog user-interface with real time updating of tool list and 3D dynamic preview of selected tool.
Tool Select Filter
Automatic Feature Recognition
Improved automatic feature recognition to simplify features and automatically recognize features by depth.
View and modify default machining strategies directly in CAMWorks without having to access the CAMWorks technology database (TechDB) in a separate application window.
Edit Default Strategies
5 Axis Drilling
New cycles to support point to point operations including center drilling, drilling, reaming, and tapping of holes in complex four and five axis components and assemblies.
New gun-drilling cycle specifically designed to support industry-standard tooling for deep-hole drilling and gun-drill operations.
Automatic pre-drilling of holes for high-speed machining applications in CAMWorks VoluMill.
Fixed B Axis
For multitasking Mill-Turn machines, the ability to specify a fixed B axis angle for the tool and tool holder has been added for turning operations to provide better tool control.
Add approach and retract moves to milling operations in Mill Turn.
Approach and Retract
2.5 Axis Milling
2.5 Axis Milling includes automatic roughing, finishing, thread milling, face milling, and single-point cycles.
- Automatic Feature Recognition (AFR) recognizes over 20 features, including irregular
pockets, taking the drudgery out of the day-to-day programming needs. Machining algorithms use the latest toolpath and gouge protection methods to provide fast, error-free toolpaths.
- CAMWorks’ ability to associate the best machining strategies with a particular feature using proprietary Technology Database, TechDB, and recalling them for future programming is the key to reducing programming time by as much as 90% compared to other traditional CAM software.
- Full toolpath associativity to SOLIDWORKS models - Automatically updates the tools paths and CAM data.
3 Axis Milling
3 Axis Milling routines to machine complex, contoured surfaces routinely encountered in mold making and aerospace applications.
- Developed for speed, accuracy and efficient memory usage, it ensures that simple and complex parts can be cut quickly and accurately with a high-quality toolpath.
- Adaptive roughing strategy; provides cuts using the full depth of the tool while safely running your machine at optimum speed. This can reduce machining time up to 40% over conventional roughing with less wear.
- Finishing operations include; parallel slice cut, constant stepover, Z-level, curve project, and others.
- Z Level/Constant stopover combination; can be used for machining steep and shallower slope areas in one toolpath.
- 3 Axis operations support rest or leftover machining to reduce air cutting by restricting toolpaths to areas within the feature that have not been machined previously.
- Curve project cycle; removes material by projecting 2.5 Axis engrave or curve features on the 3 Axis feature.
CAMWorks VoluMill is an optional ultra high-performance toolpath engine within
CAMWorks for 2.5 axis and 3 axis roughing operations.
- Reduce your Cycle Times up to 80%
- Reduce your programming times up to 50%
- Increase your Cutting Tool Life up to 500%
- Ideal for complex 3-D shapes and prismatic parts, its algorithms result in more intelligent toolpaths to machine pockets, slots, and arbitrary shapes.
- VoluMill is well suited for machining soft as well as hard materials that are hard to chip, such as titanium, nickel-based alloys or stainless steel. The result is increased efficiency and utilization of machines, tools, labour and materials.
CAMWorks Multiaxis Milling
CAMWorks Multiaxis Milling modules include 2.5 Axis Mill and 3 Axis Mill.
4/5 Axis simultaneous machining allows the user to create toolpaths across complex shapes that could not be machined on 3 Axis machines. This includes high-performance automotive port finishing, impellers, turbine blades, cutting tools, 5 Axis trimming, and undercut machining in mold and die making.
- 3 Axis Mill with undercutting - For 3 axis machining requiring undercutting
- 4 Axis Mill - For up to 4 axis simultaneous machining
- 5 Axis Mill - For up to 5 axis simultaneous machining
CAMWorks 4 Axis simultaneous machining is designed for complex rotary applications such as camshafts, extrusion screws and blades.
CAMWorks 2 and 4 Axis Turning
CAMWorks 2 and 4 Axis Turning software for programming CNC lathe machines includes automatic roughing, finishing, grooving, threading, cut-off and single point (drilling, boring, reaming and tapping) cycles.
Automatic Feature Recognition analyzes the part shape and defines the most common machinable features such as the OD and ID of the part, front face and grooves.
- AFR recognizes features on native solid models or on solid parts imported via IGES, SAT, etc.
- When bar stock is used, AFR generates a cut-off feature on the opposite side of the face feature.
- CAMWorks provides an Interactive Turn Feature wizard for defining features that need to be defined for your facility’s machining requirements, such as custom OD and ID grooves.